Monday, June 18, 2012

Two Dogs? Oy Vey!

Those who know me have heard the endless stories of laying awake listening to my little girl bark like a dog for hours many nights each week. For those that don't know me, I'm talking like 3 hours, not exaggerating, one night was FOUR. She would also practice every word she knew at the time and sing but there's no doubt barking was part of these many nights.

Now many thought my countless facebook statuses and conversations about the barking and singing was hilarious! Of course there were plenty of nights Craig and I laid there giggling at the insanity of it all, and partially from the delirium of exhaustion. One night in particular Craig said, "She is such an odd child. I hope she invents something cool someday".  In addition to the laughing and pondering what would come of our daughter, I mostly would get frustrated that my barking child was keeping me awake for hours on end and the rest of me simply worried. I mean, this can't be normal, I thought? I have since been told of similar stories of other children doing the same thing so I feel better in that regard. Plus, now going on 3 years old, she seemed to get over her dog stage.... or so I thought.

Lately we've been seeing a return of Rylie the dog. I didn't pay much attention at first since from time to time she would still pretend play a dog, especially while eating. She would bark and say she's a dog. Okay, pretty common for her age, no big deal. Yup, No. Big. Deal.




Did I forget to mention this?
Rylie thought the dog crate at Uncle Gary's was the place to be over Easter.
Perhaps I  should have started to worry again then?! hmmm.
Yesterday while waiting for the trolley we ended up waiting with the same guy and his grown son who helped us get the kids and our big ass double stroller on the trolley on the way to the science center. He offered to help again and asked Rylie her name. As usual she didn't answer so I encouraged her to answer the man. After asking her what her name is a couple times she finally said, "Dog". I figured she was ignoring us and talking about something else so I tried again.

Me: "No, what's your name?"
Rylie: In a more sure tone. "My name is, Dog".
I laughed because, really? And to make the guy think she was just joking and not crazy!
Me: You're silly Rylie, what's your name?
Rylie: stubborn as ever. " My name is, Dog!"

Okay, whatever, this is one of those times when a parent decides if this is a battle worth having and I decided, absolutely not. We'll work on this "what's your name" thing later... AGAIN.

When we got home she told us again that her name was dog and we said, no your name is Rylie Hoosier. "Rylie Oozer" Yes, that's right, Rylie, good job. Oy Vey! It always amazes me how what seems to be the simplest thing is like pulling teeth when it comes to a two year old. Well, nearly three, but whatever.

Today she spent a good amount of time in her pretend dog play, including diving on Caleb sending him sailing backwards to the ground (let the tears begin!) and landing on him laughing. I asked what she was doing and she responded that she was a doggy. To give her credit, Apollo does jump up like that. Though that didn't get her out of her time out, where I heard her barking from the dining room as I comforted my whiny baby who was just made worse by being mauled by our "doggy".

THEN, as if the eating like a dog, barking like a dog, running around with things in her mouth wanting you to play fetch like a dog (yes, that's been part of it too!), jumping and tackling brother like a dog were not enough.... she licked me! I guess when you read to a dog that's what the appropriate response is. Who knew? I never read a book to Apollo before.

No worries folks, the doggy business didn't end there today. I was finally checking out at Wal Mart, as I briefly lost my mind and went during after work hours in my fruitless attempt to find a double umbrella stroller (after Babies R Us was a bust) when she grabbed Caleb (who was being a whiny hiney like he was all day) and she started to LICK HIM! In line. A busy line.

He thought this was hilarious! Of course that's what would make him laugh, why didn't I think of it sooner? Him laughing with the combination of me saying, please don't do that Rylie, was all the encouragement she needed to continue licking her brother as I finished in the check out line. Both giggled like it was the funniest thing to ever happen to them. Problem is I can't help but smile at their giggles. Smiling while attempting to stop an undesirable behavior never ends in success. Parenting tip of the day. 


But to be honest, as I worry again that this just isn't normal, mostly all I an think is... as long as she doesn't start barking for hours each night again, and licking her brother makes him laugh rather than cry, then whatever! Lick away little doggy, lick away. Just don't lick me or keep me up at night.

My kids have some serious issues.

Or my kid and my "new dog" because it seems we are just getting started. Oy Vey.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Namaste!
Jaci