Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Real Penn State Culture

I was writing to you all over the weekend and it turned into a ridiculously long post presenting a plethora of facts and information pertinent to many of the "reasonable conclusions" Freeh came to in his report on Penn State. Facts he chose not to include, for whatever reason. I was no where near done. I have decided not to finish it or use it because over the past two days I have realized a few things.

1. The majority of non Penn Staters and even some within the community formed their opinion as to what happened at Penn State, why and how and who was guilty of what back in November when the media became judge, jury and executioner and passed their verdict on to the general public with little to no evidence and obviously without any due process, considering only one of the two trials in this matter have been held, one just last month.

2. Given this realization, the Freeh report could have 100% negated the media's preemptive verdict and no one would have believed it anyway.

They would have cried that Freeh isn't exactly a stand up guy, he's been accused of corruption and cover ups as the director of the FBI, THE FBI! So, why not cover this up, for the whoping reward of $6.5 million Penn State paid him? Which would have been inaccurate because it was the Board of Trustees that hired him to many disapproving Penn Staters who would have chosen someone else, primarily due to his relationship with Governor Corbett and his involvement in all of this

These people who read and accepted the guilty verdict in November may have referenced how another independent investigative report Freeh's law firm wrote resulted in the accused being acquitted in a court of law, after destroying his reputation unfairly and unjustly, in part do to the lack of evidence from the report, thus insinuating that he isn't that great at compiling accurate, complete and unbiased evidence in his investigations.

They would have questioned holes the size of geysers, inconsistencies and contradictions he made between his evidence presented and his numerous "reasonable conclusions". They would have questioned the countless missing and relevant facts not in the report that are simple enough for a layman like myself to dig up. They would have read the report, in it's entirety.

But that's not what happened.

He came through for all those who said, See.... I told you a man known for having higher standards of moral conduct than most couldn't possibly be good. I KNEW IT. Freeh came through.

3. I realized that no matter how much of the missing evidence I presented, nearly everyone's views were solidified a long time ago. So, it seems futile on my part to attempt to educate those unwilling to learn. I had a good 25 links to include as "evidence" in my abandoned post, links I also chose to leave out here, because I assume anyone still reading this who is 100% sure of who was involved in covering up the horrific crimes of Jerry Sandusky, won't bother to read the links anyway.

4. I realized that the media truly is the most powerful entity on earth, they have the power to bring down statues, to punish the innocent, to create hate, to report the only truths they choose without penalty, to censor reputable journalists they typically publish because they do not agree with what is driving headlines and massive amounts of revenue. I don't wield such power... nor would I ever desire to play God.

5. I realized that everyone bitching about what is happening to us won't change anything. It won't help the victims or help us to move forward and believe me, I've done my fair share of bitching! I've been beating my head against the proverbial brick wall of closed-mindedness to the point that I can't sleep as my head is constantly yelling at someone for their ignorance! It's exhausting and time consuming and it's getting me no where. But WE can move forward.

Though don't mistake my desire to move forward as the same thing as our President laying down and accepting unreasonable sanctions that will only punish the innocent as they are not one in the same.

I am angry.

I am so angry I'm past my boiling point.

I'm angry that a sick pedophile fooled us all and hurt children in a place we all once considered the epitome of feeling safe, happy and at home. As a former therapist who worked with abused children for years and as a mother, my heart aches for his victims. They too felt this about Happy Valley, their home. Your home is supposed to be your safe place. They were huge Penn State fans, he used that against them. He used us.

I think Sandusky knew exactly what he was asking for when he negotiated his retirement package. He knew exactly what he was going to do with the privileges he was granted by the administrators (not Paterno, who Freeh's report indicates his opposition to some of the things in the retirement package including not wanting Second Mile kids using the football facilities because they were built for the football program) The retirement package granting his access to the facilities and the right to bring guests was accepted and signed despite Paterno's vocal disapproval. I know shocker, since he was God with unlimited power and all.

I am angry beyond what words can even begin to describe at how the media has handled the coverage. They have done a disservice to the public for not reporting all the facts available, they have done a disservice to the victims for focusing on all the wrong things and profiting from it, at their expense. How much have they given to prevention and awareness while they milk the story for all they can get? They have created a world of hate towards EVERYTHING Penn State, not just those involved, whoever they turn out to be. They have created a mob like mentality which is preventing the victims from moving forward, the community from healing; from moving forward. And every last one of them should be ashamed of their lack of journalistic integrity. Clearly none of them went to Penn State or they would understand what success with honor means.

So, based on all these realizations I set aside my own Freeh report, aka, the Hoosier report and I decided to work, like the rest of Penn Staters who have made tremendous strides over the past 8 grueling months, to move forward.

I keep hearing the truth always prevails but most of the time when I hear this I think... I'm not so sure it will in this case. Like Casey Anthony, despite a not guilty verdict in the court of law, the "truth" had already been told. It doesn't matter if only half of it's been told in our case. It doesn't matter that many parts of that half of the truth have been twisted into some crazy out of control telephone game that much of the general public believes outright lies at this point.

It doesn't matter.

The best quote I heard yesterday as I seethed at the latest round of attacks by another organization that has decided they need to one up everyone else in their assertion of God like power was this...

Hate can not fuel a person as long as love

I breathed a sigh of relief because he was right. WE know that football was not and is not the end all say all at Penn State. Maybe it is or was for a handful of administrators but WE ARE over a 1/2 million living alumni and their families, nearly 100,000 students, thousands of faculty, and fans, yes, we still have fans. So even if a court of law proves that two men did in fact create a "culture of reverence with a total disregard for children's safety and welfare" in the name of "protecting a lucrative football program" and fear of "bad publicity".... We Are SO very much more than those two men. Yes, TWO, because contrary to popular views, PA state prosecutors have only found sufficient evidence to maintain charges against the two original individuals charged for perjury, despite having the evidence presented in the Freeh report for many months now. And I will not apologize for not jumping on the bandwagon if the prosecution doesn't believe a crime was committed by anyone else, dead or alive, at this time. I will wait to condemn the guilty until they are proven guilty in a court of law. That doesn't mean I don't have my own ideas of who was involved and to what degree based on ALL I have read.

But here's how I plan to move forward because.....
F U Sports Illustrated, We STILL ARE


WE ARE... not a cult and WE never "worshiped" our football coach. In fact, I, like many over the past 10-15 years have thought it was past his time and he needed to retire. So, we weren't very good cult members or worshipers I guess, but we did respect him. Enough so that most of us thought, eh whatever, let him coach as long as he wants. Mostly though, WE respected the ideals he taught, his faith and dedication to all of us and our educations and regardless of what some believe the proof is in the pudding. He taught us success with honor, of academics before football, of making an impact.

Whether or not Paterno lived up to those values his entire life except in one crucial situation is irrelevant to what WE learned, what WE at Penn State represent. Our former coach was just a part of Penn State. WE ALL ARE PENN STATE. We always have been. If we find beyond reasonable doubt that he didn't live up to what we learned from him, it doesn't erase those values in us. Just like the NCAA can't erase those wins from the athletes who achieved them. It's in us, it's in them. A handful of people allegedly straying from these values does not define us.

We Are what we have done since learning of the heinous crimes committed at our beloved school by a man who was nearly as respected in the community as Paterno was; by a wolf hiding in a sheep's coat behind a highly regarded local charity he created to help troubled boys reach their full potential. The irony. WE have done some amazing things in a mere 8 months. Amazing things. It makes me so proud to be a Penn Stater. Imagine what we will do over the long haul?! It gives me chills to think!

I believe that everything, even the most horrific things happen for a reason. I believe that the horrific accident my husband and his brother were in as teenagers ultimately resulted in my husband and I meeting... at Penn State... which obviously resulted in our beautiful children. GOOD can come out of anything, if you believe, if you create the good, if you move forward, if you LOVE what you believe in more than those who hate it.

We will show the world who we really are as we continue to pursue our quest to be the leaders in prevention and awareness of child abuse. The amount of money donated already is a beautiful thing, over a 1/2 million in the first month alone! The fundraisers that have taken place and continue to, the programs that have been established... it's who WE ARE. Who we've always been and always will be.

We have been dedicated to helping children heal and find hope and reach their goals for decades. The children supported by the Four Diamond Fund know this. The children supported by the Kidney Cancer Foundation know this. The children who participate in the PA Special Olympics know this. To name a few.

The media may make light of our achievements, give them little attention, but WE were never about prestige but rather doing the good and right thing because that's what you do. That's what success with honor is. Sure, we brag about all our accomplishment, who doesn't? WE ARE proud, and we should be. We were ranked number 14 of all US public Universities, always ranked at or near the top for graduating student athletes including number ONE for our football players this past year. Kudos boys! WE are ranked 67 in top Universities in the world... the WORLD! Our academic achievements are too numerable to recount on here and besides the point. We know what we have done and what we are capable of.

The point is that WE ARE and always have been more than football. Many students have never gone to a game and could care less about football, I know, it's shocking to me too. Being from Pittsburgh, I knew the names Lynn Swan and Franco Harris and Chuck Knoll and all about the immaculate reception before I knew who the President was! Football is in my blood, I even have my own all girl fantasy football league, yet it wasn't why I went to Penn State. I went to Penn State in part because it was a huge academic achievement to be accepted to main campus as a freshman, I was proud of that, I am proud of that. I didn't go there because of Joe Paterno. My husband could have went Ivy League but chose our excellent Chemical Engineering program as to not bankrupt his parents and stay closer to home, not because of Joe Paterno or football, despite being a huge sports nut himself.

A majority of us remained silent for some time after the Freeh report was released, silent to the public anyway. It was an unspoken silence that we all just knew was best. But after yesterday I noticed social media blew up and I heard Penn Staters come together in a deafening roar.

We weren't asleep, far from it, but attempting to process the shock and how the media was handling it all, again. We were drifting away from one another too. Some still believing that Paterno is still completely innocent, some still waiting to pass judgement until all the facts are available, realizing this may never happen, some still feeling he was not who we thought he was and others everywhere in between. We were not united. We were being bombarded daily by an even more venomous round of hate towards us for even being associated with Penn State. Most of us didn't know what to say or do.

I think we showed who We Are yesterday by not necessarily condemning the NCAA sanctions per se, (though we did that too) but by condemning the audacity they have to think they can just erase everything our football players worked their asses off for. Paterno and Sandusky didn't fight through sweat, blood and tears to win those games, our players did. To hurt innocent young people who had nothing to do with any of this, telling them what they endured last year, their wins they fought for don't exist... how is that justice for the victims? That's what we all roared. To hurt other Penn State athletic teams because of these sanctions, to potentially hurt the State College economy that depends on football... how is that justice for the victims who are a part of our community?

We demanded to know why weren't the victims consulted... after all this is about THEM, not Emmert and his power hungry self. If it was ever about the victims to anyone else but us, he would have sanctioned ALL money made, except what's needed to support our other athletic teams not alleged to be involved in any way, to be donated to the victims for 4 years. We roared over how he could do all of this without due process, without an investigation. We learned our administration let us down again through secret negotiations that accepted these egregious sanctions without said due process. Or consulting the board.

It doesn't matter... now.

All we can do it move forward. We can show up for those games, for our athletes who remain proud Penn Staters. We can donate, we can ensure local businesses don't fail by purchasing our gear from their stores, but by buying non licensed gear of course, because I'll be damned if the NCAA gets a penny out of me. WE can keep roaring loud and proud because WE will not let a few people tear us down, WE will not let the media tear us down, WE will not let hate tear down our love for Penn State.

Despite all the anger, the RAGE, the unanswered questions, the frustrations and sorrows, WE still fight... to do the right thing. We will fight for the truth. We will fight for all victims of abuse hoping that our efforts will result in this NEVER happening again. We will fight to make sure the world knows how to spot these wolves, these child predators, before it's too late and the damage is done. We will fight to prove what we have known all along... academics has always come before football and always will. Success with honor has not ceased to exist on or off the field even for those of us who no longer believe in the man who taught us it. We will make a positive impact on the lives of abuse victims.

We will help.

We will heal.

We will always be Penn State and haters will always hate. But hate CAN NOT be fueled longer than love.

I cry for the evil that occurred to those boys and that they had to endure such suffering at a place I thought they would be safe, a place they thought they would be safe. I will forever be aware that even the safest of places on earth can be vulnerable to evil. But I will not allow anyone to convince me that I should hate what WE ARE.

I love my alma mater and always will. I'm proud to be a Penn Stater and proud of all the good we have done for the world and all the good we have left to do. For the Glory....


                                  




PS- Yes, I am aware of my sarcasm

PPS- Haters comments will be deleted and please take your venom to the website provided and donate to victims of abuse. Thank you



1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Jaci! Very well thought out and excellently written. xx

    ReplyDelete

Namaste!
Jaci