Sunday, February 26, 2012

I've Learned...

I love reading those words to live by type art works you can buy at Target or anywhere really. I always want to buy one but often there's just one line that I think, ehh, that's not really me. So, I am going to make my own; a way to have something in print for my kids about some of the things that are important to me; and something I can come back to and read on difficult days. Despite having learned a lot and wanting to pass what I've learned and value on to my kids, I sometimes forget to live out loud some of the more important lessons and things I believe in. I'm sure I'll be able to add to this list, maybe even change it, as I continue to grow because one thing I learned is I didn't actually know everything at 24, like I thought, so I'm sure the same goes a decade later. Though, I'm now smart enough to realize I don't know it all!

I tend to get caught up in my anger, my lack of trust, my exhaustion. My thoughts trick me into second guessing things, I judge when I don't want to, including myself. So, I figure a shortish version of the things I've learned without the commentary is the perfect solution, plus, I don't have anywhere to hang one of those not so perfect ones from Target so where better than to hang my personal life lessons learned than in my blog?

In no particular order of importance, though because I'm obsessed with organization, I did attempt to organize it a bit!



Dear self, please don't forget.....

Most things important I really did learn in Kindergarten! Tell the truth, be respectful, treat others the way you want to be treated, don't hit, don't kick, take naps. Share. Be polite, say "please" and "thank you". And it probably isn't a good idea to run with scissors, or with lollipops in your mouth. I've learned that the classic, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all is better phrased, say what you mean, mean what you say, but do your best not to be mean. Say you're sorry if you hurt someones feelings. Forgive. Fight for those who can't fight for themselves. Justice is not an eye for an eye, if it were, we would all be blind. Do the right thing solely because it's the right thing to do, no other reason. Don't judge others until you've walked in their shoes. Reminder, it's not possible to walk in another's shoes. Be compassionate. Be yourself. Don't pretend to be someone you're not to make others happy. Don't forget to laugh. Do things that make you happy. Happiness for me includes yoga, traveling, writing, reading a good book, watching a good movie, playing with my kids, adult dinners out, Shabbat services, visiting friends, going to the beach, winning at roulette!

Learn from people who are different than you. Never stop learning, education is the key to EVERYTHING, it bridges barriers between those who are different and reduces hate. Teach others what you know. Education may not make you rich or even successful but it's the only thing that combats ignorance. Knowledge is power. Power is not the key to gaining respect. Respect and fear are not the same thing. More money won't make you happy, it simply allows you to pay for things you want and need without stress. Don't believe everything you hear. History always repeats itself so learn it. Learn about politics, even if just a little. There are people who are mean, vengeful, who lie, cheat, steal, take advantage of the goodness in others.... stay away from these people, even if they are family. Blood is not always thicker than water. If someone doesn't like you/love you, move on. Choose your friends wisely. Choose any person you want to be a part of your life with care. Don't be afraid to distance yourself from people who do not make you happy or unhealthy relationships. When you find love, true love, don't let it go. No matter your religion or if you do not believe in the institution of religion, read 1 Corinthians 13:4 because this is what love is.

Be kind, give to charity, volunteer, plant trees, especially if you need to cut one down. Don't be wasteful; of water, food, energy, anything; there are far too many who need what you waste. Dream big, set your goals high, don't be afraid to fail. If you fail once, try again. If you're not good at something, find something you are good at. Give all you have to the things you believe in. Nobody is perfect. There will always be someone who is better than you at, at least, one thing. Be humble. NEVER give up. Be a good sport. Always strive to win but don't be afraid to lose. There's a lesson to learn from everything.  Everything happens for a reason.  Give people a second chance; rather than fooled once shame on them fooled twice shame on you go with the 3 strike rule. Help those in need. Treat animals with respect. Don't disrespect the elderly; listen to them, learn from them. When a loved one is about to depart from this existence, say goodbye and hold their hand; send them off in peace, knowing they are loved, not for you, for them. Grief sucks. Know your family history. You can't know where you're going if you don't know where you came from. Respect your children; not just because they will be the ones to take care of you one day. Take care of yourself. Believe in yourself. Believe you can do great things.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me proud to know that all my beliefs & teaching to you of respect & how to treat people is important to you as it is to me.

    ReplyDelete

Namaste!
Jaci